Thursday, March 18, 2010

50 Minutes For Water


On Tuesday evening March 2nd I decided to take a walk in Bali. I went to the borehole and hand pump I saw out by the main road. There was a line for water at 5:46 PM. I decided to join the line and put my empty water bottle at the end of the line. The immediately picked it up and said that people who just want a little do not have to wait. I told them I did not want to break into line and wanted to see how long it took to get water. They laughed and did not understand this crazy white man. Some older youth told me "No, it will be dark before you get water." As I stood there more people came by and tried to get me to go to the front of the line. The kids would explain it to them. They would leave puzzled.


After 25 minutes my bottle had moved to the edge of the waste trough. I young man that had argued with me earlier brought his little bottle to join mine.



At 6:36 PM the last container was full and I filled my bottle and walked back to the Bali Project Compound.
(The bucket that used to be in front of mine was moved forward in the line and combined with another bucket.)
The people had carts and wheel barrows to haul the big containers and multiple containers away. Some put them on their head and walked off.

No comments:

Post a Comment