Saturday, February 13, 2010

Plan? Who needs a plan?

I will soon be headed back to Nigeria. This year I am doing things different. I am flying into Lagos. I will arrive on Wednesday and be hosted by a pastor. On Thursday I hope to visit the Unipump manufacturing plant and purchase some tool kits and spare parts. When the next cross country bus leaves for Yola I will take my purchases and pay for the bus to carry them to Yola. Two nights later I will arrive in Yola. Yakubu will meet me in Yola and is working on finding me a place to stay. The next week the Lutheran Church of Christ in Nigeria will hold its National Convention at the Demsa Convention Ground. I will be among thousands of people sleeping outside during the 5 day event. I have no clue as to what to expect. After the convention I hope to travel to the Bali, Nigeria area and meet some of the 25 Nigerian missionaries serving in this remote region. The following week, we hope to continue organizing the Water and Sanitation/Hygiene program I have been working on last year and approved at the November Church business meeting. While doing the organizing we hope to also start some pump repair worker training and work on a few projects. Even before I have left it looks like I may have to extend my trip past Easter. I will return in time to file my taxes on April 15th.

Some people have asked a few questions about my trip. The short answer is: "I do not know. I will find out when I get there." Where will I stay in Lagos and Yola? See previous answer.(SPA) How long will you be in Lagos? SPA Who is going to meet your in Lagos? SPA What are the buses like? SPA Will the pump parts and tools be cheaper in Lagos than in Yola? I hope so. Some tools are not available in Yola. What will my role be at the National Convention? I invited myself, so I guess my role is what they will let me do. I want to learn about what happens at the convention so that next year we can use the convention to promote water, sanitation, and community health, solar cooking, using recycled paper for cooking fuel and other economic development ideas. I want to video the consecration of the new bishop for the new Abuja Diocese. My good friend Pastor Benjamin Fuduta.

When I get internet access I will update you.

No comments:

Post a Comment